Wall task lighting has become an essential part of modern interior design. It not only adds ambiance to a room, but also provides functional lighting for specific tasks. In this essential guide, we will explore the different aspects of wall task lighting, including the benefits, types, installation, and maintenance.
Benefits of Wall Task Lighting
Wall task lighting has many benefits that make it an essential part of modern interior design. Firstly, it provides focused lighting for specific tasks such as reading, working on a computer, or applying makeup. This helps to reduce eye strain and improves productivity. Secondly, it adds ambiance to a room, especially with the use of dimmer switches that allow for adjustable lighting levels. Finally, wall task lighting is energy efficient, as it uses less energy than overhead lighting.
Types of Wall Task Lighting
There are several types of wall task lighting that are commonly used in interior design:
Wall sconces are a popular choice for wall task lighting. They are available in a variety of styles, from traditional to modern, and can be made from different materials. Wall sconces can be mounted on the wall at different heights, depending on the task being performed.
Picture lights are used to highlight artwork or photographs on the wall. They are available in a variety of styles and sizes and can be adjusted to shine light on specific areas.
Swing Arm Lamps
Swing arm lamps are a flexible solution for wall task lighting. They can be adjusted to shine light in different directions and can be moved out of the way when not in use.
Installation of Wall Task Lighting
When installing wall task lighting, it is important to consider the height at which the lighting will be installed. The height will depend on the task being performed and the placement of surrounding furniture. It is also important to ensure that the wiring is done correctly and that the lighting fixture is securely mounted to the wall.
Tools Required for Installation
When installing wall task lighting, the following tools will be required:
– Power drill
– Wire strippers
– Voltage tester
Steps for Installation
The following steps should be followed when installing wall task lighting:
1. Turn off the power to the room at the circuit breaker.
2. Use a voltage tester to ensure that the power is off.
3. Determine the height at which the lighting will be installed.
4. Drill holes in the wall where the lighting fixture will be mounted.
5. Attach the mounting bracket to the wall using screws.
6. Connect the wiring to the lighting fixture.
7. Secure the lighting fixture to the mounting bracket.
8. Turn the power back on and test the lighting fixture.
Maintenance of Wall Task Lighting
Wall task lighting requires minimal maintenance to keep it looking and functioning its best. The following tips should be followed to ensure that wall task lighting is properly maintained:
– Dust the lighting fixtures regularly to remove any buildup of dirt or debris.
– Clean the fixtures with a soft cloth and mild soap and water.
– Check the wiring and connections regularly to ensure that they are secure.
– Replace burnt out bulbs as soon as possible to maintain optimal light levels.
Wall task lighting is an essential part of modern interior design. Its benefits, including focused lighting, ambiance, and energy efficiency, make it an ideal choice for a variety of tasks. Additionally, the variety of styles and types available allows for flexibility in design. Proper installation and maintenance are important for ensuring that wall task lighting functions properly and looks its best.